Vodafone idea has introduced eSIM support for Indian users, have a look at how you can activate it
The telecommunication operator Vodafone Idea has now extended its eSIM services in India. The company, for now, is only offering the service for Apple users and will also implement the same for Android users soon.
Currently, Vodafone Idea has launched eSIM support for its postpaid customers in Delhi, Gujarat, and Mumbai circles. The eligible Vodafone and Idea customers will no longer be required to put in a physical SIM card to access their cellular network on their Smartphones.
What is an eSIM?
An embedded-SIM (eSIM) is a form of programmable SIM card that is embedded directly into a device. In machine to machine (M2M) applications where there is no requirement to change the SIM card, this avoids the requirement for a connector, improving reliability and security. An eSIM can be provisioned remotely; end-users can add or remove operators without the need to physically swap a SIM from the device.
eSIM is a global specification by the GSMA which enables remote SIM provisioning of any mobile device, and GSMA defines eSIM as the SIM for the next generation of a connected consumer device.
The networking solution using eSIM technology can be widely applicable to various Internet of things (IoT) scenarios, including connected cars (smart rearview mirrors, on-board diagnostics (OBD), vehicle hotspots), artificial intelligence translators, MiFi devices, smart earphones, smart metering, car trackers, DTU, bike-sharing, advertising players, video surveillance devices, etc.
The complete list of iPhone models that have received eSIM support includes the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and the iPhone XR. According to a statement by the company, the service will also soon be available on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold.
How to activate Vodafone Idea eSIM?
Note: You must have a Vodafone card inserted which you can convert into an eSIM
- To start the process, SMS eSIM < space > registered email id to 199
- If your email id is valid, you will receive a confirmation SMS. You would need to reply with “ESIMY” to confirm the eSIM change request.
- If your email id is invalid, you will receive an SMS from 199, asking you to re-initiate the process with the correct email id, will also guide you on how to update the email id.
- Post your confirmation SMS, you will receive another SMS from 199 asking you to provide consent over a call
- After providing your consent on the call, you will receive a final SMS regarding the QR Code which you will receive on your registered email id.
- Scan the QR Code received on your registered email id: (the eSIM activation will take around 2 hours)
- Please make sure that the phone is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Go to “Settings” > Select “Mobile Data” > Click on “Add Data Plan”
- Now “Scan QR code” received on your email.
- Follow the prompts on the phone.
Done!!! Vodafone Idea promises that the eSIM will be successfully activated within two hours post scanning the QR code. It is also important to note that the QR code sent through email will be of single-use.
For more news on tech and cybersecurity stay tuned on Android Rookies by subscribing to our newsletter from here.