Update Lenovo S960 with Android 4.4.2 Latest Version ROW_S211 – International version firmware for Lenovo S960 already launched, now it can be obtain with OTA or by manual installation. For OTA update it required firmware with Build Number ROW_S210 for current firmware and with Lenovo Standard Recovery. But today guide is how to update Lenovo S960 manually, this guide need computer to run the update. This guide can be use for Lenovo S960 only, don’t attempt to try this on other devices. This guide has possibility to brick your device and make you lost your IMEI so please do backup preparations before following the step in this guide.
This guide for educational purpose only, We not responsible if your device bricked after following this tutorial. (DWYOR)
ROM Descriptions :
- Build Number : S960_ROW_S211_140702
- Date : 02-07-2014
- OS : Android 4.4.2 KitKat + Vibe UI 1.5
- Languages : Russian , Ukrainian, English, Arabic, Spanish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai
- Google Applications : Yes
- ROOT : No
- S960_ROW_S211_140702 ↦ 1.3 Gb, contains all required files to upgrade your device to the latest Android 4.4.2 version.
- USB VCOM Driver ↦ Install this driver first on your computer, Turn off your device and remove the battery, using USB cable connect your device while look at My Computer ↦ Manage ↦ Device Manager there will be MTK65xx Preloader Devices show up for 5 second than disappeared, before disappeared right click on it and select Update Driver Software point it to USB VCOM Driver extracted folder. When it finish disconnect and connect again there will be Mediatek PreLoader USB VCOM Port on your device manager.
- SP Flash Tool v3.1320 ↦ Flash tool for flashing ROM images to your device, this already include on ROM download but in case there problem you can download on this link.
- Download all required files above, and store it on your computer. This is using flash tool method so please make sure that USB VCOM driver already successful installed before continued to the next step.
- Extract S960_ROW_S211_140702 ROM download and you will found 4 folders, in this guide we will only use target_bin folder and flash_tool folder, ignore the other 2 folders.
- Go to flash_tool folder and run flash_tool.exe if you are running windows 7 or above please run this program using administrator privilege to avoid any permission error while flashing.
- On the flash tool please check DA DL All with Checksum option, this is the first option that need to be change and don’t forget to check this option. Click on Scatter-Loading button and point it to target_bin and select MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt this action will automatically load all images files to flash tool.
- When everything set up, now you can click Download button or hit F9. Flash tool will initialize the ROM file and after a few minutes it become stand by and ready to make connection with your device. (When you got flash tool error 8038 when connect your device, then please try click firmware↦upgrade button)
- Turn off your device, because Lenovo S960 using non-removable battery then you must wait until your device is completely turn off, When you sure it already completely turn off connect your device to computer using USB cable.
- Flash tool will recognize your device and begin to start flashing process, the process will take 5-6 minutes, it will show progress bar on the bottom of flash tool. When finish it will show GREEN CIRCLE on the middle of flash tool.
- Done, now you can disconnect your device. Turn on your device, first booting will take 3-4 minutes to finish so please be patient. When on the home screen go to Dialer and dial ####682# this will show country option, select your country code and press submit. Device will reboot to recovery mode to apply country code.
- When boot and on home screen, go to Dialer and dial ####8888#, this is will do factory reset on your device. (will remove all data on device, built in storage)
- Done, Just boot to your home screen and confirm firmware Build Number and make sure is same as ROM downloaded S960_ROW_S211_140702.