Top 10 Best Android smartphone and iPhone Mobile App Security Testing Tools in 2020
If you are an App developer, you are required to make an App that is totally hacked free and doesn’t have any bugs which can be exploited by hackers and cybercriminals. The number of Android smartphone and iPhone users around the globe is now estimated at over 5 billion. There are about 3 million Apps available in the Google Play store and 2 billion or more applications in the Apple App Store. Therefore it is important that you test your smartphone App vigorously for security. We bring you the top 10 best Android and iPhone mobile App testing tools for 2020
List of Top 10 Mobile App Security Testing Tools
- Quick Android Review Kit.
- Zed Attack Proxy.
- Drozer (MWR InfoSecurity).
- MobSF (Mobile Security Framework).
- Android Debug Bridge.
- Micro Focus (Fortify).
- WhiteHat Security.
To understand why you need to test your mobile app for security, you have to understand the risks. Any mobile or smartphone App can have the following kinds of vulnerabilities:
- Cross-Site Scripting (XSS).
- The leak of User Sensitive Data (Banking details, IMEI, location, MAC address, email credentials)
- SQL injection.
- Phishing Scam Attacks.
- Missing Data Encryption.
- Unrestricted access to various malicious file types.
- OS Command Injection.
- Arbitrary Code Execution.
When you develop any smartphone app, whether, for Android smartphone or iPhone, your stature as a developer depends on it being secure. Nobody likes a halfbaked App with security holes. You can either gain popularity or lose your standing as a developer based on the security in your App. To make your App hack-proof, you need to use tools to test it for the above vulnerabilities. Let’s take a look at the top Top 10 Mobile App Security Testing Tools one by one.
Quick Android Review Kit (QARK)
QARK stands for “Quick Android Review Kit” and it was developed by LinkedIn. QARK is a static code analysis tool and provides security audit of our Android App. QARK generates ADB (Android Debug Bridge) commands which will help to validate the vulnerability that QARK detects.
Key Features of QARK:
- QARK is an open-source tool.
- It provides in-depth information about security vulnerabilities.
- QARK will generate a report about potential vulnerability and provide information about what to do in order to fix them.
- It highlights the issue related to the Android version.
- QARK scans all the components in the mobile app for misconfiguration and security threats.
- It creates a custom application for testing purposes in the form of APK and identifies potential security issues.
Visit the official site: QARK
Zed Attack Proxy
Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP) a widely used mobile app testing used by all the testers for mobile application security testing. ZAP supports sending malicious messages, hence it is easier for the testers to test the security of the mobile apps. This type of testing is possible by sending any request or file through a malicious message and test that if a mobile app is vulnerable to the malicious message or malicious payload.
- World’s most popular open-source security testing tool.
- ZAP is actively maintained by hundreds of international volunteers.
- It is very easy to install.
- ZAP is available in 20 different languages.
- It is also a great tool for manual security testing.
Visit the official site: Zed Attack Proxy
Drozer (MWR InfoSecurity)
Drozer is from MWR InfoSecurity. Drozer identifies the security vulnerabilities in mobile apps and devices and ensures that Android devices, mobile apps etc., are secure to use.
- Drozer is an open-source tool.
- Drozer supports both Android devices and emulators for security testing.
- It only supports the Android platform.
- Executes Java-enabled code on the device itself.
- It provides solutions in all areas of cybersecurity.
Visit the official site: MWR InfoSecurity
MobSF (Mobile Security Framework)
Mobile Security Framework (MobSF) is an automated security testing framework for Android, iOS and Windows platforms. It performs static and dynamic analysis for mobile app security testing. It is one of the few multi-platform security tools for Mobile App testing.
- It is an open-source tool for mobile app security testing.
- MobSF is hosted in a local environment, so sensitive data never interacts with the cloud.
- Faster security analysis for Mobile apps on all three platforms (Android, iOS, Windows).
- MobSF supports both binary and Zipped source code.
- It supports Web API security testing using API Fuzzer.
- MobSF helps developers identify security vulnerabilities during the development phase itself
Visit the official site: Mobile Security Framework
Android Debug Bridge
Android Debug Bridge or ADB is a command-line mobile app testing tool used to communicate with a device that runs on the Android operating system. It offers a terminal interface for controlling any Android device connected to a computer using a USB. Android Debug Bridge can be used to install/uninstall apps, run shell commands, reboot, transfer files, and more. One can easily restore android devices using such commands.
- ADB can be easily integrated with Google’s Android studio integrated development environment.
- Real-time monitor of system events.
- ADB allows operating at the system level making use of shell commands.
- It communicates with devices using Bluetooth, WI-FI, USB, etc.
- ADB is included in the Android SDK package itself.
Visit the official site: Android Debug Bridge
Micro Focus (Fortify)
Micro Focus provides end to end mobile app security testing across multiple devices, platforms, networks, servers, etc. Fortify is a tool by Micro Focus that helps developers test and secure mobile app before launching it for beta testing or release.
- Fortify performs comprehensive mobile security testing using a flexible delivery model.
- Security Testing includes static code analysis and scheduled scan for mobile apps
- Identify security vulnerabilities across – client, server, and network.
- Fortify allows standard scan which helps to identify malware.
- Fortify supports multiple platforms such as Google Android, Apple iOS, and Microsoft Windows
Visit the official site: Micro Focus
Codified Security is a popular testing tool to perform mobile application security testing and used by hundreds of developers. It has a programmatic approach for security testing, which ensures that the mobile app security test results are scalable and reliable.
- It is an automated testing platform that detects security loopholes in the mobile app code.
- Codified Security provides real-time feedback.
- It is supported by machine learning and static code analysis.
- It supports both Static and Dynamic testing in mobile app security testing.
- Code-level reporting helps to get the issues in the mobile app’s client-side code.
- Codified Security supports iOS, Android platform, etc.
- It tests a mobile app without actually fetching the source code. The data and source code is hosted on the Google cloud.
- Files can be uploaded in multiple formats such as APK, IPA, etc.
Visit the official site: Codified Security
WhiteHat Sentinel Mobile Express
WhiteHat Security provides services such as web application security testing, mobile app security testing; computer-based training solutions, etc. It has a separate module called WhiteHat Sentinel Mobile Express for Mobile App security testing and assessment platform.
- It is a cloud-based security platform and supports both Android and iOS platforms.
- Sentinel platform provides detailed information and reporting to get the status of the project.
- Automated static and dynamic mobile app testing
- Testing is performed on the actual device by installing the mobile app, it does not use any emulators for testing.
- It gives a clear and concise description of security vulnerabilities and provides a solution.
- Sentinel can be integrated with CI servers, bug tracking tools, and ALM tools.
Visit the official site: WhiteHat Security
Kiuwan is one of the top mobile App testing platforms which provides static code analysis and software composition analysis, with automation at any stage of the SDLC. It also supports all popular frameworks for mobile development, with integration at IDE level.
Visit the Official Website: Kiuwan Code Security
Veracode provides mobile app security testing using automated cloud-based service. Veracode’s Mobile Application Security Testing (MAST) solution identifies the security loopholes in the mobile app and suggests fixes for the bugs.
- It is easy to use and provides accurate security testing results.
- Security tests are performed based on the application.
- Finance and healthcare applications are tested in-depth while the simple web application is tested with a simple scan.
- Veracode Static Analysis provides a fast and accurate code review result.
- MAST provides multiple security analysis which includes static, dynamic, and mobile app behavioral analysis.
Visit the official site: Veracode
As an Android smartphone or iPhone App developer you can select any of the above as long as you get your App totally hack-proof and bug-free. You can try out one of these based on your needs and budget and filter out the rest of them.