Microsoft’s latest Patch Tuesday KB4556799 update for Windows 10 versions 1909 and 1903 gives error code 0x800f0831 and 0x80070308, fails for many users
As we reported earlier, Microsoft is certainly in a mood for updates. On the heels of the VS Code 1.45 release this week with more GitHub integrations, Microsoft’s VS Code team has released a new version of the Microsoft Python extension for the VS Code. Now Microsoft has followed it up with its Patch Tuesday update. Microsoft released the patch KB4556799 update for Windows 10 versions 1909 and 1903 but some users are reporting that their PC/laptop is not updating and/or giving error message 0x800f0831.
What is KB4556799?
KB4556799 is a cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909 is KB4556799. It increases the OS build number as it follows:
- Windows 10 version 1903: build number 18362.836
- Windows 10 version 1909: build number 18363.836
It is supposed to bring the following improvements and fix bugs:
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates to improve security when using input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus.
- Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Xbox.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
Microsoft has made the KB4556799 update available through the standard distribution channels, like Windows Update and Microsoft Update for automatic rollout, the Microsoft Update Catalog for manual installation, and the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for enterprise deployment.
Problems with KB4556799 patch
As always, Microsoft updates aren’t without problems. As soon as the update was released, Windows 10 users from over the world started downloading and installing the KV4556799 patch. Several Windows 10 users reported that they are having issues with installing the new KB4556799 update
One user on Microsoft website stated that:
2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4556799) Error 0x800f0831 fails.
Also, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth Gets to 99.4% and stops.
When i try to install the update its says me:
2020-05 Actualización acumulativa para Windows 10 Version 1909 para sistemas basados en x64 (KB4556799)
I have my windows on spanish but is a acumulative updates
The fix for this issue was given by Suejin, an independent advisor as follows:
I’m Jin, a fellow Windows 10 user, and an independent advisor. I can see that you are getting an error 0x800f0831 when updating KB4556799. Since you have already tried running DISM, check if by clearing the cache and manually downloading the update will help you.
- Restart the computer and boot up in Safe Mode. To boot to safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/help/12376/
- In Safe Mode, Run command prompt as Administrator.
- Type: net stop wuauserv and hit Enter.
- Type: net stop cryptsvc and hit Enter.
- Open file explorer and go to C:\Windows and find SoftwareDistribution and delete this folder.
- Go back to command prompt and type: net start wuauserv and hit Enter
- Type: net start cryptsvc and hit Enter.
- Restart your computer.
Select the exact update to download and install.
If this doesn’t work, try updating using the Media Creation Tool:
- Click the “Download tool now” button.
- Once downloaded run the MediaCreationTool1909.exe file.
- Accept the terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC, then hit Next.
- Proceed with the prompts.
We will bring Microsofts comments on the issue and updates that follow.