Lenovo S960, How to Flashing Custom Recovery TWRP for Android 4.2.2 and Android 4.4.2
Lenovo S960, How to Flashing Custom Recovery TWRP for Android 4.2.2 and Android 4.4.2 – Custom Recovery is the second most important modification that must to be done, with custom recovery your can have more important functions like backup, restore, flashing ROM, fix permission, etc.
On the Android world there many famous custom recovery but the most famous is CWM and TWRP, and today i will post a guide how to change your Lenovo Standard Recovery with custom recovery TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project). This guide can be use for Lenovo S960 with Android 4.2.2 and Android 4.4.2 firmware, but one think that must be understand is after successful installing custom recovery your device will lost it ability to installing and update from OTA.
This guide for educational purpose only, We not responsible if your device bricked after following this tutorial. (DWYOR)
- This guide is about to change your recovery system file, so please do full backup your current running ROM. Please refer to How to Make Full Backup For MediaTek device
- Once your Lenovo Standard Recovery successful change there is no way to revert back it, so please refer to this Lenovo S960, How to Restore Lenovo Standard Recovery ROW Version Firmware
- If this custom recovery not fit with your firmware it will return error 8038 while flashing with flash tool, known work on S210 and S211
- USB VCOM Driver ↦ Install this driver first on your computer, Turn off your device and remove the battery, using USB cable connect your device while look at My Computer ↦ Manage ↦ Device Manager there will be MTK65xx Preloader Devices show up for 5 second than disappeared, before disappeared right click on it and select Update Driver Software point it to USB VCOM Driver extracted folder. When it finish disconnect and connect again there will be Mediatek PreLoader USB VCOM Port on your device manager.
- S960_S128_TWRP_184.108.40.206 ↦ download this if your Lenovo S960 still using Android 4.2.2 or Jelly Bean
- S960_S209_TWRP_220.127.116.11 ↦ download this if your Lenovo S960 already running Android 4.4.2 or KitKat.
- SP Flash Tool v3.1320 ↦ Use this version flash tool for flashing custom recovery to your Lenovo S960, don’t try to use another version.
- Download the required files on your computer, because this guide is using flash tool method then you must be make sure that USB VCOM driver is completely installed on your computer before continued to next step.
- Extract both recovery download file and flash tool on the same folder, this for easy organize it.
- Go to flash tool extracted folder and run flash_tool.exe, if you running windows 7 or later please run it using administrator privilege to avoid any permission error.
- On the flash tool, check DA DL All with Checksum option, this option must not forgotten or you will got error.
- Click on Scatter-Loading button, browse to custom recovery extracted folder and select MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt, when this file loaded on flash tool it also automatically load recovery.img on flash tool
- When everything is set up, just press Download button or hit F9. This will trigger warning that told not all images loaded correctly, just confirm it with press Yes button.
- Turn off your device, because Lenovo S960 use non-removable battery you must make sure that your device is completely turn off. When you already sure than connect your device to your computer using USB cable. Flashing process will only take 10-15 second just wait until you can see GREEN CIRCLE on the middle of flash tool.
- Done, now you can disconnect your device and try to turn on your device. Go to recovery mode by pressing Power button + Volume Up + Volume Down button and confirm you already successful replace Lenovo Standard Recovery with TWRP custom recovery.