Install TWRP 126.96.36.199 on Lenovo S660 Running Android 4.4.2
Install TWRP 188.8.131.52 on Lenovo S660 Running Android 4.4.2 – Today guide we will modified our Lenovo S660 with changing the Lenovo Standard recovery with custom recovery TWRP v184.108.40.206 this is the latest version for TWRP and already mod so it can compatible with Lenovo S660. This modification needed when you wanna to root your Lenovo S660 running Android 4.4.2, Since Lenovo release Android 4.4.2 for it devices, rooting method cannot be done using framaroot, vroot, root genius and etc the solution for this is we must install custom recovery first then install root from recovery mode.
Even this guide already verify work for Lenovo S660, but this guide has possibility to brick your device, erase your data and erase Standard Lenovo recovery. Do full backup for your device first, ROM and IMEI backup.
This guide for educational purpose only, We not responsible if your device bricked after following this tutorial. This guide will lose your ability to get OTA update (DWYOR)
Update 20-04-2015 : Use this link for european firmware TWRPv220.127.116.11 KitKat or you can see this Lenovo S660 Install TWRP v18.104.22.168 for KitKat
- TWRP_S660CN ↦ Contains recovery.img and android scatter file that needed to flash with flash tool, this only for CN firmware
- TWRP_S660EU ↦ Contains recovery.img and android scatter file that needed to flash with flash tool, this only for EU firmware ROW version
- SP Flash Tool v3.1328 ↦ Recommended using this version but there is a possibility that we must use the newest version.
- USB VCOM Driver ↦ Install this driver first on your computer, Turn off your device and remove the battery, using USB cable connect your device while look at My Computer ↦ Manage ↦ Device Manager there will be MTK65xx Preloader Devices show up for 5 second than disappeared, before disappeared right click on it and select Update Driver Software point it to USB VCOM Driver extracted folder. When it finish disconnect and connect again there will be Mediatek PreLoader USB VCOM Port on your device manager.
- Download all required files, place it at same folder for easy organized it. Extract SP Flash Tool v3.1328 and TWRP_S660EU on the same folder. Make sure you already completely installing USB VCom driver before continued to next step.
- Go to flash tool extracted folder and run Flash_Tool.exe, if you are using windows 7 or later please ensure that you running it using administrator privilege, on the flash tool check DA DL All with Checksum option. Now click on Scatter-Loading button and point it to TWRP_S660EU extracted folder and select MT6582_Android_scatter.txt, this will load recovery.img to flash tool.
- When finish with flash tool, now press Download button or hit F9. This will show pop up that told not all images loaded correctly, just click Yes button. And flash tool become stand by mode waiting connection from your device.
- Now turn off your device and remove the battery, connect your device with USB cable data to your computer, if USB VCom driver installed completely then flash tool will recognize your device and begin to start flashing process. This process only take 2-3 minutes and when you see GREEN CIRCLE in the middle of flash tool you save to disconnect your device
- Done, congratulation you already finish change your Lenovo Standard Recovery with custom recovery TWRP v22.214.171.124. confirm it with go to recovery mode turn off your device and then turn on with press and hold Power Button + Volume Up + Volume Down button until you can see TWRP v126.96.36.199 main menu.