How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength using the Windows 10 Powershell or Command Prompt
The Internet has become a live saver in these depressing Coronavirus pandemic times. Wi-Fi speed has become equally important for users. The low the Wi-Fi router strength the less the Internet speed. For knowing the exact Wi-Fi strength your computer receives, normally, Windows 10 PC/laptop owners use specialized Wi-Fi Analyzer App available on the Internet. Now you can use your Command Prompt or Powershell to find the exact strength of your Wi-Fi router reaching your computer/laptop.
The Wi-Fi signal strength assumes importance because the far you are from your Wi-Fi router, the weak the signal gets. Knowing the exact strength of your Wi-Fi can help you find the exact place in your home/office which has the best and optimum Wi-Fi strength. So without further ado, let’s begin the Wi-Fi signal test using Comand Prompt.
How to check your Wi-Fi signal strength using C:\> or Command Prompt
- In the Start menu Type “command” and select Run Command Prompt as administrator
- In Command Prompt window, type in these exact words without the inverted commas “netsh wlan show interfaces”.
- It will display all the details of your Wi-Fi connection as follows
The table displays your network signal strength as a percentage along with all the relevant details of your Wi-Fi connection.
How to check Wi-Fi signal strength using PowerShell
- In the Start menu search box type Powershell or press Windows+X.
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin) or Run Powershell as Administrator
- Once the PowerShell window is launched, enter the following command.
(netsh wlan show interfaces) -Match '^\s+Signal' -Replace '^\s+Signal\s+:\s+',''
The above PowerShell command gives you the exact Wi-Fi signal strength of your router as follows:
You can also use the netsh wlan show interfaces to find out the details of your Wi-Fi connection as you do with Command Prompt. You can use the Command Prompt and Powershell to find out the exact place where your Wi-Fi signal strength is 100 percent.