How to Root Lenovo S960 Running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 China Version
How to Root Lenovo S960 Running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 – After successful installing Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 on your Lenovo S960, now i am gone posting a guide how to ROOT your Lenovo S960 running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2. This guide will only work for Lenovo S960 running Vibe UI v1.5 china version i don’t know if it used for Vibe UI v1.5 ROW version. Sometime rooting our device is something that we must to do but it has it own consequences, for what i heard if you will never got OTA updates if you ROOT your device and of course void your warranty. This guide is also has possibility to brick your device so please read carefully and consider before follow this guide.
This guide for educational purpose only, We not responsible if your device bricked after following this tutorial. (DWYOR). Do your own backup step, to avoid losing data.
- USB VCOM Driver ↦ Install this driver first on your computer, Turn off your device and remove the battery, using USB cable connect your device while look at My Computer ↦ Manage ↦ Device Manager there will be MTK65xx Preloader Devices show up for 5 second than disappeared, before disappeared right click on it and select Update Driver Software point it to USB VCOM Driver extracted folder. When it finish disconnect and connect again there will be Mediatek PreLoader USB VCOM Port on your device manager.
- S960_S209_TWRP_22.214.171.124 ↦ This is a recovery file, so we need to change the default recovery file from Lenovo using this file. And this is only fit with china firmware only if you try this guide on ROW version you will got 8038 error on flash tool.
- 4.4Root ↦ Root file, this need to install with custom recovery. Move or copy this file to your external sd card.
- SP Flash Tool v3.1320 ↦ Tool to flash / install, if you already has been follow my guide about Lenovo S960 that you must be already has this tool.
- Download all required files and place it on one folder for easy organize it. Please make sure that USB VCOM Driver installation is succeed before go to the next step. This is an important step because without having succeed you will never be continued to the next step.
- Time to install Custom Recovery TWRP 2.6.30, extract SP Flash Tool v3.1320, and run Flash_Tool.exe if you running windows 7 then please run it with administrator privilege. Give check on DA DL All with Checksum option, you will got error when you not check this option.
- Now click on Scatter-Loading button and point it to S960_S209_TWRP_126.96.36.199 extracted folder select MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt this action will automatically load another necessary file to SP Flash Tool
- After finish configure all, now press the Download button or hit F9, this will trigger a warning message that told you not all files loaded, just select Yes button.
- Now turn off your Lenovo S960, make sure it completely turn off or just wait about 20 seconds after turn off your device.
- Then connect your device to your computer using USB Cable, If everything work well then SP Flash Tool will recognize your device and start the flashing process. This process will be mark with RED and YELLOW bar bellow the SP Flash Tool, and if it already finish it will show GREEN CIRCLE int he middle of SP Flash Tool
- Now you already finish install custom recovery to your device, Now turn on your device but with press and hold Power Button + Volume UP + Volume Down button until your device screen show recovery (TWRP 188.8.131.52) main menu.
- On TWRP, select Install ↦ Install Zip from SD Card ↦ Select Zip file point it to 4.4Root that already move to your external sd card, Swipe to Install.
- Wait the process until finish, then reboot your device normally. Check for KingUser icon on your applications drawer.
- Done, Successful Rooting Lenovo S960 running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2, confirm it using Root Checker downloaded from Google Play.