Here is how you can clean your Google Drive or iCloud account storage to free up space
- 1 Here is how you can clean your Google Drive or iCloud account storage to free up space
Cloud storage is a model of computer data storage in which the digital data is stored in logical pools. The physical storage spans multiple servers (sometimes in multiple locations), and the physical environment is typically owned and managed by a hosting company. These cloud storage providers are responsible for keeping the data available and accessible, and the physical environment protected and running. People and organizations buy or lease storage capacity from the providers to store user, organization, or application data.
Google provides 15GB of free storage for a single Google account that is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. Whereas that of iCloud service you only get 5GB of free storage. As of today, 5GB or 15GB is nothing for a user who is working online and uses cloud services to save the files.
After using up 15GB of storage of Google account users cannot get new mails, upload any photos, or open a drive link/document from that account as the free is space is already used up. The same goes for the Apple users for the iCloud storages. So in this article, we will show you how you check how much space is occupied with which file and how to delete the unnecessary files from your Google Drive or iCloud storage.
How to free up storage in Google drive?
To see how much space you have left, on a computer, go to google.com/settings/storage
A user usually uses multiple e-commerce websites like Flipkart, Amazon, beauty websites and etc but while creating those accounts they also check the newsletter/promotions box. By that users get the promotion and newsletters from these websites and fill up their email storage.
There’s an easy way to check for emails that were sent out automatically. You have to just do a Gmail search for “unsubscribe” with the quotes. This will bring up every message with the word unsubscribe, which mailing lists usually include at the bottom of messages. After unsubscribing and select all emails and delete them. After you’re done wiping them out, open the Trash folder in the Gmail sidebar (you might have to click ‘More’ in the sidebar first), and click ‘Empty trash now.’
Also, you can open Gmail on your phone or desktop, and do a search for “size:5m” (without the quotes). This will display all emails that are 5MB or larger in size. If the files are not important or saved on the device then you can delete those files.
After clearing Gmail you can also check with the Google Photos for deleting duplicate photos and the ones you don’t need. After clearing space from Gmail and Photos, again check the space you have left, on a computer, go to google.com/settings/storage.
How to delete files from your iCloud storage?
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name]> iCloud. To see more detailed information about how apps and services are using your storage, tap iCloud Storage, or Manage Storage.
- On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. To see more detailed information about how apps and services are using your storage, click Manage.
- On your PC, open iCloud for Windows.
- On a supported browser, sign in to iCloud.com, then click Account Settings.
Delete backups and turn off iCloud Backup for your device
If you don’t need the backups you can delete them.
- Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
- Tap Manage Storage > Backups.
- Tap the name of the device whose backup you’d like to delete.
- Tap Delete Backup > Turn Off & Delete.
When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Reduce the size of your photo library
- Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
- Tap Manage Storage.
- Tap Backups.
- Tap the name of the device you’re using, then look at Photos.
Delete folders or files in iCloud Drive
For iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Go to the Files app and tap Browse.
- Under Locations, tap iCloud Drive > Select.
- Choose the folders or files that you want to delete, then tap Trash.
- Go to Locations > Recently Deleted > Select.
- Choose the files that you want to delete.
- Tap Delete.
You can manage your iCloud Drive files from the iCloud Drive folder in Finder:
- If you need to, turn on iCloud Drive on your Mac:
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID, then click iCloud.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Turn on iCloud Drive. In Options, make sure that you select the apps or folders for the files you want to manage.
- Open Finder and go to the iCloud Drive folder.
- Drag an item to the Trash, or move it to a different folder on your Mac.
- Open Trash, then right-click the files that you want to delete.
- Select Delete Immediately.
You can also delete texts and attachments in Messages and also delete messages and manage Mail. This is how you can free up space from Google Drive or iCloud storage of your accounts. For more news on tech and cybersecurity stay tuned on Android Rookies by subscribing to our newsletter from here.