Apple pledges it and its suppliers will be carbon neutral by 2030

0

Apple pledges to make itself and its component suppliers carbon neutral by 2030

Apple joined the likes of Microsoft, Amazon, and other tech firms by pledging to make itself and its component makers carbon neutral by 2030. Apple released a statement saying it pledges that its products and component makers will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 75% and find ways to balance the remaining 25 percent by other methods.

The MacBook, iPhone and iPad maker promised to go green across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030. In the statement, Apple said it is already carbon neutral today for corporate emissions worldwide. It added that it will work with its component makers to bring its entire carbon footprint to net zero 20 years sooner than IPCC targets.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet – they’ve helped us make our products more energy-efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world.”

According to the 2020 Environmental Progress Report released today, Apple has already cut carbon dioxide emissions by 4.3 million metric tons in 2019. Though the figure seems minuscule compared to 25.1 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide it pumped out during the year.

Companies achieve carbon neutral status by offsetting their greenhouse gas emissions against planting trees or investing in projects that reduce emissions. They also sometimes remove the errant emission unit and deploy a more environmentally friendly unit.

Apple plans to use low carbon product design as well as innovate in product recycling, and design products to be as energy-efficient according to its pledge. The company’s Material Recovery Lab in Austin, Texas is already working with Carnegie Mellon University to develop green energy solutions.

Share.

About Author

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." Eric Schmidt

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments