Amazon issues a warning that the Alexa powered $130 Echo Buds could overheat causing harm to user’s ears
If you are an Amazon Echo Buds user and have recently noticed that your ears burn, it is probably due to a software bug in Echo Buds which causes it to overheat. Amazon has issued an urgent safety warning to its Alexa-powered Echo Buds earphone users for the overheating issue.
Amazon said that the Echo Buds are overheating due to a bug and has issued a firmware update. Users are being advised to download a software update as soon as possible to “address this potential safety risk”.
The Amazon Echo Bud’s retail at $130 and offer ‘immersive sound’ for users. They also give users a hands-free interaction with the Amazon smart assistant, Alexa. Amazon is emailing all the Echo Buds buyers about the potential health hazard. The email says, “We recently determined that in very rare cases it is possible for Echo Buds to overheat while in the charging case. Out of an abundance of caution, we have released a software update that addresses this potential safety risk and improves the long-term performance of Echo Buds’ batteries.”
The email doesn’t mention anything about how the software is causing the Echo Buds to overheat or whether the overheating issue could result in the buds catching fire. It does warn users to update their Echo Buds firmware immediately.
The good news is that Echo Buds can automatically be updated once they are connected via Bluetooth to the Alexa app. If you own Amazon Echo Buds, you should check if your Echo Buds have updated the latest software version 318119151 or higher. This can also be done via the Alexa app.
The email doesn’t mention how many users reported overheating issues to Amazon.